In the movie classic Terminator 2 we hear the story of the beginning of the Terminator. Skynet’s artificial intelligence backfires when the machines become self aware and begin destroying the human race. There is so much power in being self aware. Not only could you take control of your life, you could be a Terminator that takes over the human race. Self awareness is interesting. It’s one of those things that most people think they have but few really do. It’s not something that comes naturally to many people, myself included. I would spend most of time staying busy, helping with kids, working hard, exercising, watching House of Cards, etc. All good things and one can live this type of life and still be a contributor to society but never really gain self awareness. In that business, you lose who you are. When the quiet times come, or a major shift happens in you life, you’re left wondering who you are. Wondering where your foundation is. Some people find it in books, others in religion, others in friends and family. While those places are good. You can still find peace there but I truly believe your foundation has no solid hold until you gain true self awareness. When you know who you are to the core. And it takes work. It takes a lot of work, and sadly it often takes a micro, or macro trauma to initiate it, but it’s worth it. If you truly put the work in then all those traumas and questioning is worth it.
- Spend time with yourself first thing in the morning. Get out of your comfort zone. Meditate, say affirmations out loud, do yoga if you never have before.
- Be 100% genuine with a few people you trust and ask them who you are. The good and the bad. AND DONT TAKE IT PERSONAL. You may be surprised by the answers. If you catch yourself reacting to what they’re saying it’s because you know it’s true.
- Read “self-help” books. They help, get over it.
- Don’t be busy to be busy. Embrace stillness.
- Think about your strengths and weaknesses obsessively and start to find the good in the weaknesses. You’re not a good salesman? Great! Then you’re probably trustworthy. Embrace that and make that be your strength.
Self-awareness is a big deal and something I myself am constantly striving to be better at. Be a better you!